Bill Blogsmith

Q. What is the chief end of man? A. Man's chief end is to glorify God, and enjoy him forever. Q. What is thy only comfort in life and death? A. That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ

My Photo
Name:

I write and illustrate, live in Oregon, love God and my family, and that's about all anyone really needs to know.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

WORSHIP WARS

ALTHOUGH it is on my main site, I wanted anyone who stumbled onto this blog to be aware of an essay I wrote about worship, music, and the modern church called Sing a New Song. It covers much of my primary thoughts on worship and what we are lacking and should strive for in church today.
Is Satan dividing the Body of Christ by encouraging people to worship incorrectly or poorly, and then clapping his hooves in glee when people get mad at anyone daring to object? Let us pray for wisdom, strength, and a greater love for God rather than our own whims, desires, and personal preference.
I also wrote an article not long after about churches and men, about how emasculated churches seem, entitled Church is For Women. The article focuses on an attempt to make church more manly and masculine, but missing the mark by instead using a comical caricature of masculinity:
Last Saturday morning, 200 Christian men gathered in a downtown warehouse in Nashville for a daylong spiritual extravaganza. Inside, strobe lights flashed, and tracks by the Killers thumped from speakers stacked on either side of a stage. Four large video screens showed clips of karate fights, car chases and "Jackass"-style stunts. Then the music lowered and Christian comedian Brad Stine appeared. With his rat-a-tat delivery and aggressive style, Stine quickly whipped the crowd into a chorus of “Amens!” “A lot of guys out there wouldn’t have the balls to be here,” he shouted. “Are you ready to be a man? Are you ready to kick ass? Are you ready to grab your sword and say, ‘OK family, I’m going to lead you?’ Buckle up. This is GodMen!”
One of my commenters responded with this thought:
The only tension I remember my grandparents having when I was a kid was over my grandfather's refusal to go to church more than once a month. They fought about that all the time. It always ended with my grandfather telling my grandmother, "That's not a church you go to, it's Christ's knitting circle." Then he would retire to the den with his Bible, a cup of coffee, and a Luke The Drifter album... where he would remain until she got back from church. About once every month or so she would convince him to go, and the experience was always bad enough to send him back to the den for the proceeding 3 or 4 Sundays.

The thing is, if you did something stupid, or something you knew was wrong, my grandfather was always the one who wanted to know how you were going to square that kind of behavior with God, while my grandmother pretty much just worried about what the neighbors were going to think if they found out about it.
-President Friedman
These two ideas really do go hand in hand: worship and our churches should focus on God and not be so influenced by modern culture we cut the gonads off Christianity for fear of offense or to appeal to a target group. Let us approach this prayerfully, Biblically, and with both joy and trembling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home